The Environment & The Green Line
As plans are made to re-start our economy the Environment team invites us to image a brighter climate future. The Environment team, led by our member organization, the Climate Hub, is asking that the City of Calgary build for not just stimulus but climate through our Green Stimulus plan.
A Green Kick-Start
As government invests in economy after the COVID-19 crisis, that investment needs to be used to shift us towards a just and environmentally sustainable economy. As an organization we are asking for:
- The four new capital buildings the City has committed to building be net-zero emission and adopts Top-of-Class Green Building Certification and Standards. (These are: The Event Centre to replace the Saddledome; an expansion of the BMO Centre; Arts Commons; and the Foothills Fieldhouse.)
- Investments be made to increase the quality and affordability of our transit system (Green Line and completing our primary transit network) to make transit the most attractive and affordable option to get around as we return to work. Some of our actions include:
- Prior to the Transportation Committee meeting we sent a letter outlining the reasons for our support of the Green Line.
- On June 1st we gathered in front of City Hall to show our support for the Green Line.
- On June 15th we were present to remind City Council of the importance of the Green Line.
We are at a time where the shift to a sustainable economy is critical if we are to avoid the worst effects of climate change and ensure social inclusiveness.
The Environment Team meets the third Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. to work together on this and other environment related campaigns. To join or learn more please contact [email protected].
To learn more about the Calgary Climate Hub and its activities visit https://www.calgaryclimatehub.ca.