The Calgary Alliance is seeking a dynamic community organizer who will be a part of our team working to gather leaders and build an organization that can bring about significant change for the common good in our city.
The Calgary Alliance is made up of over 30 faith, labour, community and educational institutions that have come together to organize the power of our communities so together we can shape a just and compassionate city.
The role of an organizer is to find, gather, and develop leaders. They work to build strong organizations, made up of a diverse membership that can act together to bring about significant change in our city. This role will work with the lead organizer to organize one of our campaigns, to take the lead on one strategic focus, to work with a group of organizations and leaders, and to seek to expand the membership of the Alliance.
Time: 0.4 FTE (with the possibility of expansion)
Wage: $24,000/year plus 10% in lieu of benefits (Based on a rate of $60,000/year) Vacation: 3 Weeks vacation, 1-week sick leave per year (@0.4 FTE)
Overtime: Taken as time in lieu.
Accountability: Reports to Lead Organizer. Will meet regularly with the lead organizer to develop and maintain a work plan.
As a community organizer, the core responsibilities of this role are to identify, gather, and support the development of leaders, and to contribute to building an effective, broad-based IAF community organizing alliance. Additional responsibilities include:
- Carrying out regular relational meetings with leaders, potential leaders, and community members.
- Participating in providing the Foundations of Community Organizing training
- Taking primary responsibility for one of the campaigns run by the Alliance.
- Taking primary responsibility for one of the strategic focuses of the Alliance.
- Working directly in supporting a group of leaders, member organizations and their core teams.
- Recruiting new member organizations.
- Assisting in fundraising through grants and individual donors.
- Developing your own skill as a community organizer.
- Strong relational and communication skills
- The ability to take create initiative, act strategically and manage one’s time and work. - Evidence of success in training, facilitation or teaching.
- Experience developing and implementing campaigns
- Experience working with diverse communities
- A desire to work with leaders and support their growth as leaders
- Evidence of working effectively with teams
- Familiarity with relational community organizing approach
- Interest in building capacity to create long-term impact.
- Ability to work remotely, and use online systems.
- A driver’s license (post-pandemic)
Application: Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. If you have any questions, please use the same email address or call (403)993-7123. Please include in your cover letter why you are interested in this position and the work of the Alliance as well as what you can contribute to building a strong alliance for the common good.
Deadline: Please apply by September 26th, 2021